Cabasa is an Afro-Brazilian musical percussion instrument, which is a corrugated metal cylinder with a bead net (bead chain). The cylinder is fixed on a wooden reel with a handle.
- Pedal activated cabasa sounds: the Meinl foot cabasa is an idyllic accessory for seated percussionists or Cajon players who wish to layer their rhythms with cabasa sounds
- Optional single or double stroke setting: an easily adjustable screw lets you quickly change between single or double strokes. This allows a note to be played on both upstrokes and down strokes
- Equipped with a ported turbo cabasa: Meinl Turbo cabasas feature sound ports for Enhanced projection and clarity. The cabasa is made with a wooden body and steel cylinder and chain
- Layer your grooves: This breakthrough for drummers and percussionists allows you to explore new rhythms, coordination exercises and grooves with your percussion rig or Cajon
- Drum Key included: The pedal comes with a drum key, allowing players to adjust the action of the pedal with ease
Cabasa was originally made from dried pumpkin. The original African cabasa is called “agbe” and is made from dried oval or pear-shaped gourds with beads strung on the outer surface. There are many versions of this instrument, especially in Latin American culture, where cabasa is actively used in dance, especially in bossa nova, in jazz and in orchestral music.
Modern kabasa makes a metallic, rattling sound when shaken or twisted, like a rattlesnake. An experienced cabas player can get accurate rhythmic effects. The musician holds the metal chains with one hand, providing pressure on the cabasa, with the other hand he holds the wooden handle, twisting and shaking the instrument back and forth in accordance with the desired rhythmic pattern. Shaking provides a rhythmic sound while curling adds emotion.
Cabasa is also often used in music therapy, especially in people with physical or neurological impairments, since minimal hand movement is required to create sound. The sound produced can be supported by a music therapist who builds neurological connections between hand movement and hearing, in turn encouraging smoother hand movements.
- SOUND PORTS FOR EXTRA PROJECTION: The Meinl Turbo Cabasas generate plenty of volume with help from 5 sound ports located on the body of the instrument. This added projection from the resonating chamber results in a crisp, full tone
- STAINLESS STEEL CYLINDER AND BEADS: Classic cabasa sounds come effortlessly from the ribbed stainless steel cylinder and stainless steel beads. The sound and volume are great for any live or studio performance
- VITAL FOR PERCUSSIONISTS AND DRUMMERS ALIKE: Meinl Turbo Cabasas are a vital instrument for any percussion player, and they are also an outstanding accent instrument to use with the drum kit in a recording environment
- STANDARD SIZE WITH PADDED WOODEN HANDLE: This cabasa is equipped with a layer of padding on the wooden handle for ease of use. Its standard size measures 4″ wide and 7″ long
- OFFICIAL TWO YEAR MEINL WARRANTY: All Meinl cabasas carry a two year manufacturer’s warranty when purchased from authorized retailers